Sunday, December 30, 2012

BARREL Status Report #4

BARREL Status Report #4
December 30, 2012

Today, the Halley VI team assembled Payload 1D into flight
configuration and started to test Payload 1I. We still had cloudy and
very windy weather all day, so weren't able to get outside with a
payload. So, while waiting for the sun to appear, we reviewed our
launch procedures and did some more testing with UC Santa Cruz. We are
still looking at Tuesday, January 1 as a possible launch date. I also
gave a science talk at Halley tonight. Everyone is excited about a
possible launch!

The SANAE IV team has finished assembling and testing Payload 1J
indoors, and is nearly done with the final assembly as of dinner time.
This evening they will be buttoning up the payload and taking it
outdoors for a Comprehensive Performance Test (CPT) as well as getting
the launch equipment and helium manifolds situated in place at the
launch location.  We anticipate good weather, so contingent on passing
our Flight Readiness Review tomorrow, we are planning on our first
SANAE IV launch.  The launch would occur at or after 1700 UT (0900
PST) on Monday, December 31, 2012. Yes, that is New Year's Eve!  Stay


As an aside, if you have been looking at our soc you may have notice that it looks like some payloads are up. These are all just testing of payloads and the soc itself. No payloads have been launched yet. 

Enjoy these last few days of 2012!