Friday, February 7, 2014

From the Ice: BARREL Status Update #43

Hi folks,

 Sorry for the late report, but we had no internet all day yesterday (planned outage). There isn't too much new. Both SANAE and Halley are waiting for surface weather to improve. SANAE has a possible launch opportunity Friday. Halley has a possible opportunity Sunday. If neither of these days are favorable, we may end up not launching since we are leaving soon and have to start packing!

Robyn, 

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

From the Ice: BARREL Status Update # 42

No launches again today due to high surface winds. Payload 2A was terminated at 1730 UT.  For those of you who haven't seen it, here's a link to an article about BARREL on the NASA website. There is also a video that Alexa put together. I can't view it myself but have heard it's great!

http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/nasa-funded-science-balloons-launch-in-antarctica/




Also, some of you have been asking about our travel plans. Our SANAE team leaves around February 9th. They'll fly to Novo and then on to Cape Town from there. The Halley team will board the ship somewhere between February 17 - 20 and will sail to the Falkland Islands. We expect to depart from the Falklands on March 1st to return via South America. As such, the last possible launch date for the SANAE team is February 9th and the Halley team a few days later (we have to have our cargo on the line by February 15th at the latest). Although we've now launched 20 balloons, we'd very much like to replace the two that came down shortly after launch. So, each team hopes to be able to launch one more before departing. So far, surface conditions do not look great for the next few days. We have a possible launch opportunity from both stations tomorrow.


Robyn

Today on NASAs front page... Us

There is a great article with our photos and movie on NASAs front page. Check it out here http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/nasa-funded-science-balloons-launch-in-antarctica/index.html#.UvESDn-9KSP

From the Ice: BARREL Status Update #41

Hi all, 

No launches today due to high surface winds. Payload 2L was terminated at 0810 UT after 29 days of flight! It landed at 68.41S  96.74W.  We also lost contact with Payload 2F. We are continuing to try to contact it. We don't expect any launches Tuesday from either station. We have a possible launch opportunity from Halley Wednesday.

Robyn

Monday, February 3, 2014

From the Ice: BARREL Status Update #40

Payload 2Q was launched from Halley at 1432 UT today. We currently have 8 payloads up. We don't expect any launches from either station tomorrow.

Robyn. 

Friday, January 31, 2014

From the Ice: BARREL Status Update #38

As expected, the winds were high today so there were no launches. SANAE expects a possible launch opportunity tomorrow afternoon. Halley may have an opportunity Sunday.
Happy Chinese New Year!

Robyn

Thursday, January 30, 2014

From the Ice: BARREL Status Update #37

It was a beautiful and successful day today! Payload 2P was launched by the Halley team at 1125 UT. Payload 2E was then launched by the SANAE team at 1600 UT. Both are looking good so far. Payload 2L has also come back to lower latitudes and is still kicking after 24 days. The winds are supposed to pick up at Halley tomorrow so we don't expect a launch from here until early next week.

Robyn